Saturday, January 17, 2009

Strange door-to-door "sales"

Friday 1/16 night Stacey B had around 8-8:30 PM ring her door bell.  20ish Hispanic kid with a faux-hawk (her words) said he was selling magazines.  She said she wasn't interested.  He knocked again and was loudly begging her to please open the door.  She called MPD who responded.  She didn't ask for a call back regarding the outcome.  All we do know is that MPD responded.

Saturday  1/17 evening around 5PM a 20ish white guy, crew cut, mustache dark jeans and t's was came up to our porch.  I happened to be on the couch and heard the steps.  Our bell didn't ring.  He was looking into the house from the window.  Imagine his surprise when I just opened the door and asked if he needed help.  He said he was selling subscriptions and wanted to know what papers we get.  I asked him for his solicitation permit.  He said he didn't have one, but he knew where he could get one.  I asked him if he was aware he needed to have it on him and able to produce if we asked.  he said no.  I told him that we're serious with Neighborhood Watch and told him he's likely not going to get off the street before MPD would arrive.  He split.  MPD arrived and did their field interview.  

Point to this is strangeness is afoot.  Ask for their solicitation permit and if they don't have it ask them to leave.  

I need to let you know that a friend on Granite  Ave reported her neighbors work truck was broken into.  The window was smashed and there was an obvious tampering on the tool box.

Be alert.  Report what you see.  Make certain your house and cars are locked.  Make certain you don't leave things visible for a thief on the prowl can just grab.

One final note.  There were shootings again in the SE part of town on Sherman Ave.  The shootings is where Mr Rawlins was shot to death exactly one year ago.  The irony is that this took place during the Mayor's state of the city speech.  The larger story is currently locked over at the Star news but there is this small item here.  The frightening part is the clear racial overtones in the violence and in the topix discussion to the PSN article HERE.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I live on Foothill just east of Poinsettia. I've had two of these visits since late December. The first was a Hispanic teenage male who said he was soliciting for the LA Times to support Belmont High School downtown. When I told him I already subscribed, he "harumphed" and suggested I just give him a donation like a neighbor supposedly did. I refused. He was visibly annoyed, but he left.

The second more recent visit occurred last week and was from two teenage girls. When they asked if they could have a moment of my time, I said they could not, if they were soliciting.

Next time, I'll ask for their permit and call MPD.